Re: Winner's Circle -- game is scored?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dark Haven Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Britt Yenne on December 05, 1998 at 17:21:02:

In Reply to: Winner's Circle posted by Geoff Hulten on October 29, 1998 at 15:20:50:

I enjoyed this game very much. I tend to obsess on games like this, much to the chagrin of my wife and family. I finished in four real days, 87 game days. My final score was 947, but I don't know what that means since nobody else is posting scores. Is this perhaps a new feature of version 1.1?

I used all the guilds, focusing on spells. All my base stats were around 11 except for a 20 intelligence. Even so, I found all the final creatures pretty easy to beat.

I was very impressed with the quality of the game. I didn't find a single bug, where a "bug" is defined as something that crashes the game. This is different from what I call a "quirk": something that lets you cheat, such as being able to hit the applications button to escape from any encounter... :-)

Some comments:

1. The game is pretty linear and helps you along from phase to phase. This is a Good Thing for beginners but detracts from the replayability. For the next one, I suggest multiple mutually-exclusive paths your character may follow. The next time around, you can make a different choice and see how that one turns out. For instance, maybe you could elect to be an evil-type person who robs houses and tombs and sacrifices children (even illusional ones), but the paladin guild will then have nothing to do with you.

2. This goes along with #1 above, but how about class-type benefits for sticking with a guild. For example, a member of the mage guild might cast spells at 1/2 the cost. This makes it more important to stick with a guild, and enhances the replayability if you want to try a paladin next time. Combine this with better guild-specific limits on stat training, and you have a workable class system while allowing the player to change if desired.

3. I'd like to see more randomness in the items. Ever played Diablo? Each character in that game is a unique experience because the items are completely different even though the basic system is very simple.

4. I liked the hunger/sleep/fatigue thing -- it's a distinguishing characteristic of this game, and is well done. I could defeat large critters just by out-enduring them. Keep it.

5. Very, very nice plot. Engrossing. I'm guessing the author likes the Riftwar series by Feist.

6. Bigger is not better. I'm not convinced that all the available items actually added playability to the game.

7. The puzzles were very nicely done. Good job!

8. Unlike some other people, I liked the ending. Additional fireworks are flashy, but would just take up memory. The real letdown is the fact that the game is over, and that's the best compliment an author can get.

All in all, a great game! I enjoyed it very much and am looking forward to the next one. If I think of anything else, I'll post it later.

-britt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Dark Haven Forum ] [ FAQ ]